Where is the code for DistanceMatrix?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109195] Where is the code for DistanceMatrix?
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 05:52:46 -0400 (EDT)

DistanceMatrix is defined in the HierarchicalClustering package and in the
HierarchicalClustering` context. But if I open  in the
HierarchicalClustering .m file D:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\AddOns\Packages\HierarchicalClustering directory, I
find

If[ Not@ValueQ[DistanceMatrix::usage],
 DistanceMatrix::usage = "DistanceMatrix[list] computes the \
  symmetric matrix of distance or dissimilarity coefficients between \
the elements of list."]

If I do

Needs["HierarchicalClustering`"]
?DistanceMatrix

then I get

DistanceMatrix [ list ] gives a matrix of distances or dissimilarities
between the elements of  list . >>

which is not what the usage message says

Then I try to find the code for the function DistanceMatrix, but I do not
find it in this file. Where is it? Is it hidden in the Kernel?
If it is in the Kernel, why is it not available without loading
HierarchicalClustering?

Ingolf Dahl
Sweden
e-mail: ingolf.dahl at telia.com