Re: if using Mathematica to solve an algebraic problem

On 4/12/2010 11:01 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> My anecdotal experience has been that there is a high correlation
> between using Mathematica well and being able to do the corresponding
> paper-and-pencil calculations.  (Perhaps some third, underlying variable
> explaining the correlation?)

I have observed this as well. Sometimes students will tell me "I could
do it on paper, but I can't figure out how to get Mathematica to do it."
When I ask them, OK, tell me how you would do it on paper, it turns out
they *don't* know how to do the problem at all. The problem for these
students isn't Mathematica, it's a lack of understanding the mathematics.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont