Re: Why is InputField changing format of input formula?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109288] Re: Why is InputField changing format of input formula?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

The first problem occurs because Mathematica rewrites the input expression
to standard order, which rearranges the terms. One possible solution is to
specify TraditionalForm using the second argument of Dynamic.

{InputField[Dynamic[func, (func = TraditionalForm[#]) &],
  FieldSize -> {20, 4}], Dynamic[func]}

The second problem occurs because clicking a palette button as an entry
method also changes the cursor focus outside of the InputField box and that
causes the expression to be entered. There needs to be an option to specify
that the field is only entered when the "Enter" key is used and not by
changing the focus.

I have found InputFields only easy to understand and use with numeric data,
and obtain the same kind of problems you bring up with expressions. I hope
we may get a useful good answer.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Dominic [mailto:miliotodc at rtconline.com]

Hi,

I am writing an application wz5hich the user enters an equation and would
like to set up an input field for the equation.  This is what I
currently use:

InputField[Dynamic[myFunction], FieldSize -> {20, 4}]

However, when I leave the field, the equation is automatically altered
by the system.  For example, if I enter a polynomial such as z^5+2z^2-2,
the system changes it to -2+2z^2+z^5 or if I enter a cube root from the
palettes, the system changes it to a 1/3 power.

How may I set up the InputField so that it stays in the input the user
enters?  I cannot seem to get it to "Hold" the format as the user
entered it.

Thanks guys,

Dominic