Re: How to make make a Dynamic variable to become an ordinary one

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109389] Re: How to make make a Dynamic variable to become an ordinary one
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 04:03:28 -0400 (EDT)

I'm just wondering what the rationale is for this menu item? Wouldn't there
be better and more natural methods for doing this kind of thing, at least in
a dynamic presentation?

The DC help gives only barely more information and no examples.

Is this a one-way operation? Is there any way to go back? Apparently this
only works on Output cells (although Help doesn't say that). Perhaps this
might be used to capture a particular dynamic value that had been adjusted
to one's satisfaction but I don't see how one would do that without doing an
actual copy and paste of the value.

I could imagine that in a dynamic presentation one might have a control that
one might temporarily want to fix while other controls perhaps are
activated. But this could be done with a Button or perhaps a Toggler.

I don't see why "Convert Dynamic to Literal" rises to the level of a Menu
item, or even why it is very usable. Maybe someone can show a neat example.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: John Fultz [mailto:jfultz at wolfram.com]

If you use SelectionMove[] to make sure the Dynamic thing is selected, then
you
can evaluate the following code:

FrontEndExecute[
 FrontEnd`NotebookDynamicToLiteral[NotebookSelection[nb]]]

where nb is the appropriate NotebookObject.  This will literalize
*everything*
in the selection, which includes not just Dynamics, but also counters.

You could also literalize an entire notebook using this formulation...

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`NotebookDynamicToLiteral[nb]]

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group