Re: Function to detect presence of a variable in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109397] Re: Function to detect presence of a variable in
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:24:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Carlos,

Here is one possibility:

ClearAll[countMeIn];
SetAttributes[countMeIn, HoldFirst];
countMeIn[expr_, var_Symbol] :=
  Count[Unevaluated[expr], var, Infinity];
countMeIn[expr_, vars : {__Symbol}] :=
  Map[countMeIn[expr, #] &, vars];

Seems to work as you wanted:

In[27]:= countMeIn[(2/x)^(x*w^4*z), {x, y, w, z}]

Out[27]= {2, 0, 1, 1}

In[28]:= countMeIn[(1/x)^x, x]

Out[28]= 2

One complication which forced me to make it HoldFirst and
use Unevaluated is that expressions that you enter sometimes auto-evaluate
to something else. For example, entering (2/x)^(x*w^4*z) will result in

In[17]:= (2/x)^(x*w^4*z)

Out[17]= 2^(w^4 x z) (1/x)^(w^4 x z)

which has different counts for the variables but is otherwise equivalent to
the original expression. With HoldFirst, the function will analyze your
original expression.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Leonid