Re: Kernel crash, version 7.0, windows XP, when using slider in Manipulate with Dynamics plot on control area

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109396] Re: Kernel crash, version 7.0, windows XP, when using slider in Manipulate with Dynamics plot on control area
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:23:58 -0400 (EDT)

An update:

I found a fix. When I use  SynchronousUpdating -> True the problem went
away! Kernel does not crash any more.

I normally use SynchronousUpdating ->False in Manipulate, but I have not
used Dynamic plots inside the control variable area before, so never seen
this problem before.

I left the problem notebook here http://12000.org/tmp/bug_input_slider/
with the name filter_v9.nb and put next to it the notebook with this change
in the code, called filter_v10.nb in case someone from WRI or others like to
look at this. Even if it is a user error, I do not think the kernel should
crash?

For me, I am Ok now, I found a workaround, even though I really do not
understand what is the problem here when I use SynchronousUpdating ->False
in this case. It will be good to know what was causing the crash if
possible.

--Nasser