Database memory usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109418] Database memory usage
  • From: Rui <rui.rojo at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:31:49 -0400 (EDT)

I'm new to databases.
I want to put a big list in a database, to later work on it.
It all worked fine, using the default hsqldb that comes in
Mathematica, but I couldn't insert more than few thousand elements at
a time, and then Link problems or java heap problems.
Finally, I couldn't even open the connection. Java runs out of memory.
Memory usage of javaw process is less than 300MB when it runs out.
In any case, I thought that the databases were, or could be, stored in
the disk, so they can really be big and be a real big advantage over
the list. How can that be done?
If the question is too newbie and you feel I need to read a tutorial
on something, hehe, feel free to send me a link to a good one, hehe

Rui Rojo