NDSolve: ..numerically ill-conditioned...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109474] NDSolve: ..numerically ill-conditioned...
  • From: Alessio Giberti <giberti at fe.infn.it>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

I have to solve numerically equations like

u''[x] - 1*^7 u[x] ==  3.6*^7,

but I get the message:

"The equations derived from the boundary conditions are numerically
ill-conditioned. The boundary conditions may not be sufficient to
uniquely define a solution. The computed solution may match the boundary
conditions poorly."

No problem with less extreme coefficients, the solutions are good, but
more extreme coefficients lead to non-reliable results. What can I do to
overcome the problem?