Re: Database memory usage

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg109458] Re: Database memory usage
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 01:58:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 27, 4:06 am, David Reiss <dbreiss at> wrote:

> the database).  And of course when sending data to the database only
> send it in smaller sets of data.  The general rule though is that if
> you try to send a vary large amount of data to a database all at one
> time (or retrieve a very large amount) you will run in to problems
> eventually with the Java memory allocation.

Unfortunately, that undermines the high abstraction advertised by

Mathematica should hide this.

I think it doesn't because of the mentality "everything is an
expression". Seems that Mathematica's greedy evaluation leaves no
breathing room for more careful consumption of large expressions (bad
manners). I've noticed similar tendencies in Workbench's syntax
parser. [*]

Vince Virgilio

[*] And I'm not convinced the cost/benefit ratio is right. Vim's
lightning fast handling of superficially similar effects is very