- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg109480] Odd phenomenon
- From: "S. B. Gray" <stevebg at ROADRUNNER.COM>
- Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 02:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
- Reply-to: stevebg at ROADRUNNER.COM
I did a symbolic calculation in which x,y,z were treated exactly the
same. The result was three long, messy expressions, but the result for x
was much simpler than those for y and z, even after FullSimplify. I then
changed the expression for x into one for y (z->w,y->z,x->y,w->x)
and the expression for x into one for z (x->w, y->x, z->y, w->z).
These manually created y,z expressions are identical to the original y,z
ones according to FullSimplify[new - old] and they give the same numeric
Is this surprising? Obviously FullSimplify is not perfect but to get
around it was a fair amount of work.
Prev by Date:
Re: Sphere formula
Next by Date:
Re: Why Return does not work?
Previous by thread:
Re: NDSolve: ..numerically ill-conditioned...
Next by thread:
Re: Odd phenomenon