Re: Problem with Min Max between two functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111504] Re: Problem with Min Max between two functions
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 06:41:24 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/2/10 at 7:02 AM, jbatista800 at gmail.com (J. Batista) wrote:

>Maria/All, I just learned from a colleague that all equations on my
>message have double equal signs.  Please note that is probably due
>to a transmission error.  All equations should only have a single
>equal sign.  I'm retransmitting my original message.

In Mathematica, equations are written with a double equal sign.
Expressions with a single equal sign are assignments in
Mathematica, not equations.

<snip>

>>originalColorData == ImageData[originalPlot];

The expression above *is* an equation in Mathematica which would
evaluate to true if the variable originalColorData had already
been assigned the value returned by ImageData.

What was probably desired was an assignment (not an equation) to
set the value of originalColorData to the value returned by ImageData.

In some respects, calling attention to the difference between
*equations* (using ==) and *assignments* (using =) in
Mathematica is being a bit pedantic. But I believe it is
important to be clear about this difference since many posts
here regarding issues are due to the confusion caused by
thinking of a something written with a single = character in
Mathematica as an "equation".