Re: export to file with a specific precision

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg111524] Re: export to file with a specific precision
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:49:08 -0400 (EDT)

Have you tried the Round function?

Round[N[1/3], .01]
% // InputForm

David Park
djmpark at

From: miguelwon [mailto:miguelwon at]

I need to export to a file several numbers with a specific number of
digits on the right of the decimal. I'm trying this with the function
NumberForm[] and Export[] but the problem is that export function is
not exporting only the number but the full inputform. For example, if
I do this:

Export["teste.dat", NumberForm[1.23456, {3, 4}]]

it will write in the file this:

NumberForm[1.23456, {3, 4}]

It happens the same with:

NumberForm[1.23456, {3, 4}]>>"teste.dat".

Another problem is that in the end I need the data in fortran form,
which mean I can't pass to a string before exporting because for the
cases of raw data that are in scientific format the final result will
be a string with "10^x" which is not fortran format.