Silly question on Matrices

Hello there

I am new to Mathematica.  In one of my attempts to understand how it works,
I tried the following example

A={{1,2,3},{4,5,6},{7,8,9}} //MatrixForm

The result seems to be a matrix 3x3 but when I try A[[1][1]], the whole
first line shows up instead of just one element.  If I don't use MatrixForm,
it works fine.  How can I see a matrix in nice format without wrecking
everything?

Many thanks

Ed