Re: Issuing Function Calls within a Plot command

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111521] Re: Issuing Function Calls within a Plot command
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 05:48:35 -0400 (EDT)

myFunction[x_] := x^2;
Plot[Evaluate[ D[myFunction[x], x] ], {x, 0, 5}]

The function "Plot" has the attribute "HoldAll", which means that it holds the argument unevaluated for as long as possible. I think it does this to keep things in an analytic state, and allows things such as symbolic manipulation (as your differentiation operator, "D", uses). In this case (as in many plotting cases), the use of Evaluation makes sure that things resolve to numbers when they should.

   At least in earlier versions of Mathematica, it was emphasized that one should Evaluate arguments to Plot whenever possible; in the latest documentation, I don't see that emphasis.

--
Curtis Osterhoudt