Re: Can't get Mathematica to evaluate correctly a

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg111545] Re: Can't get Mathematica to evaluate correctly a
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 07:39:58 -0400 (EDT)

The input expression must have higher precision

N[173746*Sin[10^22] +
  94228*Log[171/10] -
  78487*Exp[42/100], 10]

    173746*Sin[10^22] +
     94228*Log[17.1] -
     78487*Exp[0.42]]]], 10]

Bob Hanlon

---- Damien Wyart <damien.wyart at> wrote:

I am using Mathematica 7.0.2 and playing a bit with an expression
analyzed in the following paper:

I tried many constructions with N and SetPrecision and can't get
Mathematica to output the correct result (I am not very experienced with
Mathematica). Here is the expression :

The correct result should be -1.341818958*10^-12 but even forcing each
term with N and a very large number, I am still not getting this value
at all.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance ; best regards,

Damien Wyart