Mathematica won't stop

Sometimes (not yet well-defined) I try to stop a loop, (either because
it's running some wrong code or because the loop will take days or
hours) with alt-comma but it keeps going. More than once I have had to
shut the whole system off. Granted, Microsoft does not provide a
competent universal interrupt (which the 35-year-old Tops-10 did very
nicely) but maybe Mathematica can be modified to stop more easily. ?? Is anyone
else bummed by this?

Steve Gray