Re: Frontend suggestions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111800] Re: Frontend suggestions
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:58:37 -0400 (EDT)
On 12 Aug 2010, at 10:27, S. B. Gray wrote:

> 5. An easy way to have Print work more like it does in C (a language
> that I hate). Specifically a way to print pieces of lines while Mathematica is
> calculating rather than Print working only in whole lines.

One solution to the problem of printing partial lines is to evaluate, below the cell performing the lengthy computation, the following:

Dynamic[partialString]

and then update the definition of partialString in the course of the lengthy computation, as below:

Do[
 partialString == "";
 Pause[0.25];
 partialString == "First part...";
 Pause[0.25];
 partialString == partialString <> "second part...";
 Pause[0.25];
 partialString == partialString <> "final part: " <> ToString[i];
 Pause[0.25];
 Print[partialString], {i, 1, 5}
 ]

Hardly elegant, but it works.

Jason

--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/planningAndCorporatePolicy/legalandComplianceTeam/legal/disclaimer.htm