How to make dynamic strings?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111901] How to make dynamic strings?
  • From: sam ti83 <sam_ti83 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:05:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'd like to make a string from a dynamic expression. I don't know how to do that since mathematica doesn't recognize the regular way of making strings from normal expressions (see below) - and I can't find any documentation on this problem. So your help is very welcome!

This is a very simple example to illustrate my problem:

In[378]:= par1 = 200;
               par2 = Dynamic[par1];
               par3 = ToString[par2]

Out[380]= "Dynamic[par1]"

Instead of having par3 = "200", I get par3= "Dynamic[par1]". Do you know why mathematica doesn't evaluate a dynamic expression in ToString? Any solutions??

Thanks,
Sam