Re: Saving data with notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111923] Re: Saving data with notebook
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 07:20:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 17, 1:21 am, "Kent A. Vander Velden"
<kent.vandervel... at gmail.com> wrote:
> My routine is typically to Import[] data into Mathematica (often multiple
> files), perform some manipulation, and plot the results. I'd like to be able
> to use the Mathematica notebook as the archive of the raw data, analysis,
> and results. To do this, I'd like to save the contents of some if not all
> the variables associated with a notebook, preferably into the notebook. I've

SNIP

Kent,

Here's something I haven't used for a while, but might provide
inspiration. For large values, it is  s l o w.

SetAttributes[saveInNotebook, HoldFirst];

saveInNotebook[var_, value_] :=
With[{c = Compress@value},
    CellPrint@
    ExpressionCell[Defer[var = Uncompress@c;], "Input", CellOpen ->
False]
];

You might find it difficult to find the closed cell that
saveInNotebook creates. So you might add prefatory text or heading
before evaluating saveInNotebook "in-place".

Vince