Specifying absolute Tick lengths

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111974] Specifying absolute Tick lengths
  • From: Stephan <stephan80 at mac.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 02:37:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi group,

Here is a subtle problem: If I mix automatic ticks length with manual ones, it seems that the automatic ones do not scale with the picture size, whereas the manual ones do.

Details:
Consider the following graphic:

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, {4, 4, {0.00625, 0}}}, Automatic}]

Notice that I specified a length 0.00625 for the tick at x=4, whereas the tick lengths at x=1, 2, 3 are automatically determined by the system. Now I _expect_ all tick lengths to be given as relative to the picture size, at least that is what's written in the documentation. However, if I indeed scale try out different ImageSizes 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000, it seems that my manual tick scales with the size, however the automatic ones do not.

Furthermore: If I check the above expression with AbsoluteOptions[Plot[...], Ticks], I am getting the exact same tick lengths for the manual and the automatic ones (as intended) and yet I see different behaviour in the final Image.

Any help there?

Thanks a lot,

Stephan