NotebookAutoSave?

I would like an Mathematica session to automatically save the current notebook
in case I forget to do so. But the Help on NotebookAutoSave entry makes
little sense to me.

nb = CreateDocument[
    Map[ExpressionCell[Defer[# + #], "Input"] &, Range[3]],
    NotebookAutoSave -> True];

fname = $TemporaryPrefix <> "autosave.nb";

NotebookSave[nb, $TemporaryPrefix <> "autosave.nb"]

How do I use this or what should I do instead? Autosaving every few
minutes or on output would be OK. Thank you for tips and info.

Steve Gray