Re: Manipulate and ParametricPlot Control?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114362] Re: Manipulate and ParametricPlot Control?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 05:39:12 -0500 (EST)

It almost certainly was a typo on your part.  Here's one possible way you might
have made the typo that produces this result:

Manipulate[Plot[x^a, {x, 0, 1}], {a, {0, 1}, 5}]

If you try this instead...

Manipulate[a, {a, {0, 1}, 5}]

...you can see how 'a' is being manipulated.

Then Power[] threaded through the list as so...

In[19]:== x^{1, 1}

Out[19]== {x, x}

and Plot[] does exactly what it's documented to do with lists.

There aren't any bugs in this behavior, although this specific Manipulate syntax
is not AFAIK documented...but it's an obvious shortcut from one which is
documented.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com