Re: Re-virginating Manipulates?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114394] Re: Re-virginating Manipulates?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 05:19:57 -0500 (EST)

> In the Cell menu, "Delete All Output" will get rid of all of the
> output, print, and message cells, which goes a long way toward what
> you want.  Of course, there may be latent kernel state which you'll
> need to flush.  And the only absolutely sure way of doing that is to
> quit the kernel.  Evaluation->Quit Kernel->Local will do it, or you
> can just evaluate
>
> Quit
>
> in a new cell.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz

Thanks much.

As I'm sure you know, some apps have a Revert command (often in the same
menu as their Save and Open commands), which generally means "Revert to
last Saved version" and which can be handy -- but of course this applies
only to documents, not the app itself; and it can be dangerous in the
case of apps that periodically do auto-Saves on docs without visible
indication to the user.

It's always surprised me, frankly, that Mathematica doesn't have a
built-in "Clean Slate" facility for its kernel that would be equivalent
to executing a "Quit Kernel, then Restart Kernel" command (although
there was a third party (?) command or utility with this name in some
earlier version, was there not?).  Must be somehow hard to do this?