What function to use to find matrix condition number?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg114407] What function to use to find matrix condition number?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 05:22:19 -0500 (EST)

This is version 8:

I'd like to use LinearAlgebra`MatrixConditionNumber to find
condition number of some matrix.

btw, This command lists the functions in linear algebra.

But Mathematica says this package is now obsolete, and
functionality is now in the kernel.

General::obspkg: {At Line = 3, the input was:,
<<LinearAlgebra`,LinearAlgebra`} is now obsolete. The
legacy version being loaded may conflict with current
Mathematica functionality. See the Compatibility Guide for
updating information. >>

But When I follow the above, I get to page, where at the bottom
it shows 3 functions, one of them is MatrixConditionNumber,
but it does not show what replaced it in the kernel, instead
it points to a link to MathSource article:

"These functions were available in previous versions of Mathematica
and are now available on the web at"

So, is there no build-in function to compute condition number now
in Mathematica?

I know I can find the max eigenvalue, divide it by the min
eigenvalue (absolute values), and this gives me the condition
number. But should not such a function be part of the system?

Or may be I overlooked it? I did search for it, can't find it
in the documenation center.

btw, I did also try the natural language interface also, and I asked
W/ALpha by typing

      = matrix condition number

but it replied back with a chemical formula C16 H13 C1 N2 O, named diazepam, which is not what I wanted.