Re: How to bring up specific doc page programmatically?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114449] Re: How to bring up specific doc page programmatically?
  • From: kj <no.email at please.post>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 06:16:56 -0500 (EST)

In <idagaa$jqh$1 at smc.vnet.net> Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de> writes:

>and since these are all notebooks, something like

>NotebookOpen["paclet:ref/List"]

>should work too.

"Should"?  If I had a dime for every time that Mathematica refuses
to do what it "should" do (based on my understanding of it), I'd
be a lot richer than Wolfram!  :)

I've learned that when working with Mathematica, one always, always,
always has to "do the experiment".  Deductive reasoning doesn't go
very far with it.  It is the height of irony that, despite the name
"Mathematica", working with it remains very much an *experimental*
science. :D

(FWIW, the expression you posted evaluates to $Failed and beeps
when I run it.)

~kj