Re: Why are my 3D plots blue?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114512] Re: Why are my 3D plots blue?
  • From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 06:12:54 -0500 (EST)

In article <ictfvj$mi6$1 at smc.vnet.net>, John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
wrote:

> If you can move the Dynamic inside of the Graphics3D[], you'll have a much
> better experience.  I.e., instead of...
>
> Dynamic[stuff; Graphics3D[{dirs}, opts]]
>
> do this...
>
> Graphics3D[Dynamic[stuff; {dirs}], opts]
>
> and if the options should be dynamically updated, put individual Dynamics in the
> option values.  The basic problem here is that the Graphics3D is being recreated
> over and over again and Mathematica is getting confused about what exactly
> should be selected.  In typical examples, this kind of thing works fine, but
> your code, for reasons I haven't investigated, stress this enough to expose the
> problem.  By preventing the Graphics3D wrapper from being recreated, you can
> avoid the problem entirely.

I now have done this, and it does work, and seems to be about twice as
fast as the original code - all for the better.  But while I have read
all the suggested documentation, I still don't really know why it
worked.  I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but could not find it.  Are
there more precise pointers?

Joe Gwinn