Message composition was changed in v8?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114581] Message composition was changed in v8?
  • From: István Zachar <zac at freemail.hu>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:00:33 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

I have been using an auto-ToString version of StringJoin for some time
now without any problem: yes, System'StringJoin is overwritten with
the following function:

toString[expr_String] := expr;
toString[expr_] := ToString@expr;
Unprotect[System`StringJoin];
Attributes[System`StringJoin] = {};
System`StringJoin[expr___] := StringJoin@{expr};
System`StringJoin[expr_List] := Fold[StringInsert[#1, toString@#2, -1]
&, "", expr];
Protect[System`StringJoin];

Now compare the result of a faulty function call in v7 and v8:
in Mathematica 7:

In[8]:= Append[dummy, 2]

During evaluation of In[8]:= Append::normal: Nonatomic expression
expected at position 1 in Append[dummy,2]. >>

Out[8]= Append[dummy, 2]

and in Mathematica 8:

In[9]:= Append[dummy, 2]

During evaluation of In[9]:= Append::normal: Nonatomic expression
expected at position {1} in {Append[dummy,2]}. >>

Out[9]= Append[dummy, 2]

Note the List brackets around the Message argument. What has been
changed in Message composition in v8? Nothing is said about any
modifications to Message, StringForm, or any related function that I
know of, in the Documentation Center.

Any idea?

Istvan