Re: Replacement Rule with Sqrt in denominator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114629] Re: Replacement Rule with Sqrt in denominator
  • From: Jack L Goldberg 1 <jackgold at umich.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 01:52:23 -0500 (EST)

a)  Input as typed:  2<=x<=4.  Look at its fullform.  On my Mac
running ver. 7 of Mathematica, I get returned,
                    LessEqual[2,x,4].

b)  Now type in Reduce[2<=x<=4].  You will get
Inequality[2,LessEqual,x,LessEqual,4].

These are are different expressions!  How can one program replacement
rules when one can not be sure of the FullForm?  These structures are
entirely different.  Which fullform can one assume is the one Mathematica sees
in some complicated module wherein one step is a replacement rule?

Jack Goldberg
Mathematics
University of Michigan