Re: Replacement Rule with Sqrt in denominator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114688] Re: Replacement Rule with Sqrt in denominator
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 03:51:32 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----

Andrzej Kozlowski responded to this. Let me add or emphasize a few points.

(1) The documentation of Inequality is lacking. I will file a suggestion report that it be improved, and better linked to LessEqual et al.

(2) There are good reasons to have both Inequality and chaining of e.g. LessEqual. It is advantageous to have a general form that handles intricacies the special cases do not (e.g. a<b<=c). But there is the drawback that we then have a general form that overlaps with the specialized forms. Of course having results returned (e.g. by Reduce) using that general form makes some sense, but then leads to the confusion you report.

I do not know if this extends to many functions beyond Reduce, or whether it might be changed therein. I will ask about that.

(3) In the overlap cases of general vs. specialized inequality chains, both have the same StandardForm. I think this is appropriate at least from the point of view that StandardForm should reflect "reasonable" typography. But it subverts the notion that StandardForm should be unambiguous. These competing needs have clashed in other places in StandardForm, and I believe that resolutions have gone in both directions on a case-by-case basis. I'm giving my onw impression here; it's not an area in which I have much knowledge.

I will mention that neither InputForm nor FullForm are ambiguous in regards to Inequality vs. the specialized inequalities. So the situation is "What you see is not necessarily what you get, but if you change settings to "squint" mode then it will be." Or something to that effect.