Re: Integral no longer evaluated in Version 7, 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114738] Re: Integral no longer evaluated in Version 7, 8
  • From: John Jowett <john.m.jowett at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:58:18 -0500 (EST)

Thanks Daniel,
         Meanwhile I found a solution based on splitting the range of
integration and a simple change of variable:

f1 = Integrate[(1/2)*x^2*BesselK[5/3, x], {x, 0, 1}]

f2 = Integrate[(BesselK[5/3, 1/y]/(2*y^2))*(-(y^2)^(-1)), {y, 1, 0}]

f1 + f2 // FullSimplify

which gives the correct result

(8 \[Pi])/(9 Sqrt[3])

I'm a little surprised that Mathematica didn't try something similar.

(By the way, my original post should have said that Mathematica solved
this integral by itself in Version 6, not 7.)

John Jowett