Obtaining information about function definitions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114799] Obtaining information about function definitions
  • From: ntg <ntgladd at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:30:28 -0500 (EST)

Suppose I have defined a set of functions associated with symbol f and
indexed by strings, for example

f["abc"][x_] := 1;
f["def"][x_] := 2;
f["ghi"][x_] := 3;

I would like to write a program that defines a new set of functions
associated with g and indexed by the same strings.

How can I obtain a list of all the strings that have been used as
indexes of f? Both Information[f] and Definition[f] result in output
that "shows" me the information I seek. But I can't access and
manipulate that information. There must be a way to do this. Can
anyone help?

Thanks,
Tom