Re: Help with Loop to Rule Based Algorithm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114780] Re: Help with Loop to Rule Based Algorithm
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:27:00 -0500 (EST)

Your pseudo-code seems to be using three different notations involving u:

   In first line, u{1}   [braces, no subscript]

   In third line, u    [ I presume alpha should be a number; but your x
is, it would seem an array you're defining in the loop and your u seems
to be an array, too; so is alpha a constant depending on the entire
array u and the entire array x, or what ??]

   In fourth line, u_{i}, [ with a subscript]

So first let me ask if the following, modified, pseudo-code is what you
meant:

    x_{1} = u_{1};
    for i = 2 to N
       alpha = f(x_{i-1}, u_{i-1});
       x_{i} = x_{i-1} + alpha * (u_{i} - x_{i-1});
    end for;

If not, what DID you mean?

If so, then in Mathematica:

    x[1] = u[1];
    x[i_] := x[i] = x[i-1] + f[x[i-1], u[i-1]] (u[i] - x[i-1])

This is a recursive definition, of course, which may or may not suit
your purposes.  It gives two rules, the particular one for x at 1 (which
as a particular rule takes precedence over a general rule about x), and
the general, recursive rule.

The latter uses the "x[i_] := x[i] = ... " expression in order to make
Mathematica "remember" a value of x[i] as soon as it calculates it, in
other words, to add a rule for, say, x[2] = .... and x[3] = ..., etc.,
as soon as they are first calculated, so the recursion doesn't have to
descend to the base each time a new value is calculated.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305