Entering full names (without replacement) in the front end

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114810] Entering full names (without replacement) in the front end
  • From: Jason Alexander <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 06:22:09 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

On occasion, I find myself wanting to enter the full name of a symbol, like "\[Function]" in a notebook without having the full name automatically replaced by the character it stands for. I've yet to find a way of doing this! The front end is so determined to be helpful, which is no doubt the correct default in the vast majority of cases. that it insists upon replacing it. I'm sure it must be possible, though, because the Mathematica documentation is full of instances of it.

Cheers,

Jason

--
Dr. J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method