Re: Complete uninstall of Mathematica 6/7/8 on a Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114886] Re: Complete uninstall of Mathematica 6/7/8 on a Mac
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 00:20:56 -0500 (EST)

The Wolfram Notebook Indexer for Spotlight is also a part of all of the versions
you mention.  And version 8 includes the Wolfram Mathematica browser plugin,
which is installed as a part of the "Mathematica Extras" installation.  But
Mathematica doesn't actually use either one of these components while running
(it might query their presence, but it doesn't use them).

Aside from that, your list of locations is a complete list (not accounting, of
course, for document or data files you deliberately created in Mathematica).

A good place to begin when debugging SystemInformation[] is to try it a piece at
a time and see which piece is causing the problem.  At the top-level, you could
start with this...

Scan[(Print["Trying SystemInformation[\"", #, "\"]"]; Pause[2];
   SystemInformation[#]) &, {"Kernel", "FrontEnd", "Links",
  "Parallel", "Devices", "Network"}]

You can then narrow down with a list of subproperties once you know the
top-level selector which is causing problems.  If you need the list of
subproperties, let me know which selector you needed it for and I'd be happy to
provide the code to test the subproperties.

Obviously, a problem (you didn't say...a crash?  hang?) in SystemInformation[]
can often be a bug in Mathematica.  Not so obvious, though, is that sometimes it
is *not*.  For example, we've come across buggy video drivers or HID device
drivers which cause Mathematica to crash.  We try, of course, to work around the
problems when we can, but it's not always possible.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group