Re; newbie list question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115026] Re; newbie list question
  • From: Richard Hofler <rhofler at bus.ucf.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 06:53:21 -0500 (EST)

Gareth,

I'm certain you'll get simpler solutions. However, here's one. . .

In[27]:== listA=={4,5,8,2,6,4};
listB=={8,4,2};

In[29]:== Flatten[Table[First[Position[{listA},_?(#====listB[[a]]&)]],{a,3}]/.{1,x_}->{x}]
Out[29]== {3,1,4}

This shows how most parts of the final function work.

Position[{listA},_?(#====listB[[2]]&)]   (* example for only the 2nd element in ListB *)

First[Position[{listA},_?(#====listB[[2]]&)]]  (* example for the first location of only the 2nd element in ListB *)

Table[First[Position[{listA},_?(#====listB[[a]]&)]],{a,3}]  (* all of the elements in ListB *)

Table[First[Position[{listA},_?(#====listB[[a]]&)]],{a,3}]/.{1,x_}->{x}