Combining InterpolatingFunctions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107092] Combining InterpolatingFunctions
  • From: Simon Pearce <Simon.Pearce at nottingham.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 03:30:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi MathGroup,

I have two sets of InterpolatingFunctions coming from two separate
NDSolve's. One of them is defined over the region [0,rc] and the other
over the region [rc,2]. I would like Mathematica to automatically choose
the correct one when I use a replacement rule. If I could tell it never
to extrapolate this would be perfect, though I don't seem to be able to.

I've tried using FunctionInterpolation, but in order to keep my error
terms down I had to increase the InterpolationPoints to 1000, which
increases the calculation time from approximately .5sec to 1.5sec.

Can anyone suggest an efficient way of combining InterpolatingFunctions
without re-interpolating them? Or turning the extrapolation off!

Thanks,

Simon Pearce