Re: Re: Integral confusion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107316] Re: [mg107297] Re: Integral confusion
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 02:44:02 -0500 (EST)

The "weird" thing is not what specific constant of integration it returned,
but the fact that it did return one at all.

Integrate[x^2, x] gives x^3/2. not x^3/2+Pi*Sqrt[-1]  or x^3/2+99 even
though both are correct.

> I don't know Integrate's steps in obtaining the result, but I'm sure it
> didn't add extraneous constants deliberately.

Ofcourse. I am sure of that too. But the final result is NOT what one would
normally see in a textbook or expect or do when solving by hand, even though
as I said, it is correct. It is just not "normal" looking.

I am sorry, I did not mean to say anything bad about Mathematica when I said
this result was "weird" even though it is correct.

--Nasser