Re: a harmless notebook crashes Windows 7: who else had it?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107335] Re: a harmless notebook crashes Windows 7: who else had it?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 02:47:30 -0500 (EST)

John Fultz wrote:
> If Windows is blue-screening, which seems to be what you're saying, then it's
> not Mathematica's fault...at least not directly.  No regular application has the
> privilege to do anything that would cause Windows to blue-screen.  A blue-screen
> happens when privileged code running in core parts of the operating system
> fails, and the operating system is unable to contain the crash.  Typically, it's
> a result of a bug in Windows itself, or a bug in a device driver which Windows
> is using.  It could also, as you've already speculated, be the result of
> malware.
>
> That being said, I can toss out one speculation.  We've seen a very small number
> of cases where the presence of the Mathematica5 fonts on the system can cause
> certain applications (not just Mathematica) to trigger a blue-screen.  We
> haven't gotten to the bottom of this, yet...and it's only been reported to us by
> three users.  I personally suspect that there's a flaky video driver behind the
> problem, but I don't have the evidence to back up such an assertion, yet.
>
> On the off-chance that the problem you're seeing is the same problem, try
> following this procedure...
>
> * Quit all copies of Mathematica.
> * Open the Fonts control panel.  Make copies of all of the Mathematica5 fonts,
> then remove them from the Fonts list.
> * Reboot.  Open the Fonts control panel again and verify that no Mathematica5
> fonts are there.
> * Launch Mathematica and perform the procedure which reproduces the blue-screen.
> * You may see some characters which display incorrectly on the screen. That's
> okay.
>
> If this makes the problem go away, then I'd really like to get some more
> information from you, and I can offer you some practical advice for working
> around the problem.  Feel free to email me directly with the results of your
> test.
>
> If that doesn't help, then you should reinstall the Mathematica5 fonts. They
> can be found in the installation directory in
> SystemFiles\FrontEnd\Fonts\Windows.  Send me a copy of the crash report that
> Windows creates, and I may be able to suggest other things you can try.
>
> -John
>

> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:13:30 -0500 (EST), Alexei Boulbitch wrote:
>> *Dear Community,
>>
>> I have recently installed Mathematica 7.0.1.0  (the Premier Service -
>> related Home Edition) on my laptop (ASER Aspire 4810TG with Windows 7
>> Home Edition). I faced a problem that started to show up right after the
>> installation of Mathematica:
>>
>> Windows crashes always, if I open a certain notebook and scroll it for
>> few seconds. The notebook in question is a draft of my lecture and
>> contains mainly a text (e.g. text cells) and some short and very
>> primitive pieces of code. To give few examples of the code from that
>> notebook look here:
>>
>> *1 - 3 \[Nu] /. \[Nu] -> 3/5

> [...]
I wonder what version of Mathematica was in use before 7 was installed,
because I remember a problem similar to this when I first installed 6.0.
The problem turned out to be a bug in the Dell screen driver, and
upgrading this from their website fixed the problem.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk