Re: Upright \[Micro] in AxesLabel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107468] Re: Upright \[Micro] in AxesLabel
  • From: Ulf-Dietrich Braumann <braumann at uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:24:35 -0500 (EST)

Sorry for the confusion raised (in part) by not mentioning version and
platform: WinXP and v6. However, I actually did not expect some different=

behavior, neither between the v6 and v7 nor the Windows versions, since
the Mathematica3*.ttf TrueType fonts have not changed since years. To my
surprise, under v7 under Vista the effect (the \[Micro] with
FontSlant->Plain still appears slanted, while simply turning on
FontWeight-> Bold leads to and upright bold \[Micro]) does not occur.
Comparing the four Mathematica3*.tff, I noticed that on the position of =B5=

there are upright versions for the two monotype versions as well as for
the bold proportional version, but not for the plain proportional. In
consequence, something must have been changed between v6 and v7... I
speculate, now in v7 on Windows platforms the =B5 from the respective main=

font (Times New Roman, Arial, ...) is taken, but not that from
Mathematica3, at least for \[Micro] within a String.

Instead of calling

Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 9}, AxesLabel -> {"Time [d]", "Height [=B5m]"}, LabelStyle=
 -> {FontSize -> 20, FontFamily -> "Times"}]

here is my poor man's solution simply taking the =B5 from the Symbol font,=

which is acceptable when using Times:

Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 9}, AxesLabel -> {"Time [d]", Row[{"Height [", Style["m", =
FontFamily -> "Symbol"], "m]"}]}, LabelStyle -> {FontSize -> 20, FontFamily=
 -> "Times"}]

Thank you for all comments - Ulf-Dietrich Braumann