common subexpressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107520] common subexpressions
  • From: Francky Leyn <francky.leyn at telenet.be>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 03:50:17 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I have the following problem: I have a set of nonlinear
equations in which many common subexpressions are equal. I mean things
like this: the expression a^2 appears muliple times in the set
of equations. In that case, it is more efficient to store
this expression a^2 in memory and reuse it multiple times.
This is more efficient than calculating it every time it occurs.
This is demonstrated at:
http://www.wolfram.com/technology/guide/CommonSubexpressionDetectionCollection/

My question: does Mathematica have a command to type out these
common subexpressions and the rewritten expressions explicitely?

Best regards,

Francky Leyn