Re: need help determined time to travel a path

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107530] Re: [mg107512] need help determined time to travel a path
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 03:52:05 -0500 (EST)

The mystery to me is why you're getting any result at all.

First, built-in objects in Mathematica always begin with an upper-case
letter.  Thus:  Pi, not pi.

Second, you use "g" in the Integrate, but there is no g defined anywhere
in your code.

Third, your Integrate uses time0, but no time0 has been defined anywhere
in your code.

Fourth, Sin[t+Pi] is the same as -Sin[t], and Cos[t+Pi] is the same as
-Cos[t].

Fifth, I presume thatyour time0 is actually the value 0.01 that is the
lower limit on the integral.  Assuming that's so, then you have here
circley[time0] < circley[t] which means you're taking the square root of
a negative quantity.  So I think you want the reverse, namely,
circley[t]- circley[0.01].

Sixth, there's no need whatsoever for the * symbol in your code to
denote multiplication. As in writing math, juxtaposition denotes
multiplication, so that 2g is the product of 2 with g, and
2g(circley[t]-circley[0.01]) is the product of the three quantities.
Include spaces there if you wish, but they're not needed.

Seventh, you seem to be making more work than necessary -- introducing
more names than really needed, and breaking up things into too many
little pieces.  Why not something like the following.  I'll leave out
the factor involving g; since it's a constant, you can obviously just
pull out 1/Sqrt[2g] from the integral.

   {x[t_], y[t_]} = 13 (1 - {Sin[t], Cos[t]})

   Integrate[ Sqrt[x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2]/Sqrt[y[t] - y[0.01]],
              {t, 0.01, Pi/2}]

Eighth, either I made a mistake above or you have something wrong in
your model, as the result of that integral is complex.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305