Import data from an email

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107585] Import data from an email
  • From: Garapata <warsaw95826 at mypacks.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 05:16:54 -0500 (EST)

I use Apple's Mail program.  I get sent emails that have test
specifications, which I currently enter into a Mathematica notebook
manually, I then run the specs against data collected in the field.

The emails have a specific subject line:

"Test specification ..."

The spec in the body of the email looks something like this:

data indexes = {1, 3 , 6 , 7, ..., 24 }
years to evaluate = 5
startMonth = {1}
startYear = {2007}
submitter email = user at someprovider.com
Time Stamp = {2010, 02, 16, 14, 37, 22}  (* DateList format*)

I would like you automate the reading or importing of these specs into
Mathematica.

So,

1.  Can I identify the an email has arrived with the identifying
subject line?
2.  Can I use Import[] or Read[] or something to get the body of the
email into a notebook?
3.  How?

Anything that can point me in the right direction will help.

Thanks.