Re: Re: problem with double integral - Very useful for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107676] Re: [mg107669] Re: problem with double integral - Very useful for
  • From: smcconne at pi0.physi.uni-heidelberg.de
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:03:48 -0500 (EST)

I just thought it might be useful to highlight this post for searching purposes because this kind of NIntegrate workaround is extremely handy when dealing with a 3 body problem. Specifically because in the three body problem one frequently uses a multipole expansion for the distance between 2 of the particles and the centre of the frame of reference (usually the 3rd particle).

The expansion is Sum[((Min[r,R]^l)/(Max[r,R])^(l+1))LegendreP[Cos[[/gamma]]],{l,0,Infinity}]. Of course this two variable expansion usually becomes a part of an integral which is split in order to "simplify" things, but if you don't tell NIntegrate that the arguments are numeric, it will hardly seem like a simplification at all.

I hope many researchers on 3 body systems who conduct a search for how to wedge Mathematica into performing this integral find this thread!!

Sean.