Re: auto-save in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107793] Re: auto-save in Mathematica
  • From: Adam <juneappal at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 04:06:24 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 25, 2:35 pm, eric g <eric.p... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> My system crashed and I lost 4 hour of coding, how to setup auto-save in
> Mathematica.
> thanks in advance,
> Eric

I will tell you, then tell you not to use it.

Preferences -> Advanced --> Open Option Inspector  --> Notebook
options  ---> NotebookAutoSave
Preferences -> Advanced --> Open Option Inspector  --> Search for
"Save" It is the first one.

Dont use it.  In my experience, Mathematica has very poor "Undo"
ability.  Every now and then I will inadvertently delete a big chunk
of important stuff and find I am not able to Undo it back (because I
waited 30 seconds and typed a few characters before realizing it, or
something)  In that situation, the only escape is that I have NOT
autosaved, and I can revert.
If you don't reflexively save (4 hrs!?  Really?)  start training
yourself to do so - IMHO there is no substitute.