Re: algebraic numbers

Noqsi wrote:

> Machine reals are not the reals or the rationals: they are themselves,
> with their own special properties. Those who reason as if machine
> reals are either real or rational often suffer adverse consequences.

If you treat each "machine real"  (that is, hardware or software FLOAT
format object) as a representation of an exact rational number, then I
think that you are in much better shape in terms of numerical analysis
than if you treat each object as some kind of fuzz-ball.

> Much of the art of numerical analysis depends upon understanding these
> special properties and their consequences.

I agree.  But I disagree with the assertion that you do better with
fuzz-balls.  You especially can do careful analysis using a computer
algebra system where you can carry around symbolic "machine epsilon"
data, and do arithmetic on such expressions.

RJF