Re: algebraic numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg106308] Re: algebraic numbers
- From: Noqsi <jpd at noqsi.com>
- Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 04:13:51 -0500 (EST)
- References: <200912290620.BAA02732@smc.vnet.net> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Jan 7, 12:29 am, DrMajorBob <btre... at austin.rr.com> wrote: > > Bobby, you're looking at how machine reals are *encoded*, and a > > *subset* of them is encoded as if they were precise rationals, as you > > say. But what matters is how they *behave*. > > If RootApproximant@RandomReal succeeds, that random number is algebraic, > according to Mathematica... yes or no? Since the result of RandomReal represents a neighborhood, success of RootApproximant here indicates the presence of an algebraic number in that neighborhood. Seems unremarkable to me.