Re: syntax extension

On Jan 12, 3:51 am, Richard Fateman <fate... at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Is there a neat way to create a new symbol,
> say /!.    so that
>
> expression /. BetterRules[rules]
>
> could be written as
>
> expression /!. rules
>
> I do not find writing something like
>
>   (expression) ~BR~ (rules)
>
> to be quite adequate, especially with the extra parentheses.
> RJF

Hi Richard,

Yes, use the "Notation Package" (you can search for this in the docs).
The actual function you will want to use is probably "InfixNotation".

It's a bit weird though since you have to paste a skeleton of your
call to InfixNotation
from a palette, and then fill in the box asking for your operator.

I haven't done this in a while, but it's all described in the docs.

Chris