Re: syntax extension

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg106486] Re: syntax extension
  • From: Chris Osborn <chrisosb at>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:48:47 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 12, 3:51 am, Richard Fateman <fate... at> wrote:
> Is there a neat way to create a new symbol,
> say /!.    so that
> expression /. BetterRules[rules]
> could be written as
> expression /!. rules
> I do not find writing something like
>   (expression) ~BR~ (rules)
> to be quite adequate, especially with the extra parentheses.

Hi Richard,

Yes, use the "Notation Package" (you can search for this in the docs).
The actual function you will want to use is probably "InfixNotation".

It's a bit weird though since you have to paste a skeleton of your
call to InfixNotation
from a palette, and then fill in the box asking for your operator.

I haven't done this in a while, but it's all described in the docs.