Re: Simplify with NestedLessLess?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106531] Re: [mg106487] Simplify with NestedLessLess?
  • From: Dave Bird <dbird at ieee.org>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:21:09 -0500 (EST)

Not infinitesimals. I'm working in analog circuit design/analysis. I
have a 3 pole symbolic circuit response (third order) which is not
easily separable. I can use Mathematica to find the three roots of the
response. But, the roots are, of course, very messy. I know that certain
elements in the circuit are orders of magnitude larger than other like
elements - capacitors in this case. For example, one small section of
one root is

-Cf^2 L2^2 Rg^2 Vg^4+3 (4 C Rg^2 Vd^2+4 Cf Rg^2 Vd^2+2 C Rg^2 Vd Vg)

I know that C<<Cf. By careful inspection, I can see that the first term
in the parens will drop out compared to the second term in the parens. I
would like Mathematica to do this without my having to examine it so
closely since there are many other like situations.

This kind of situation occurs in many other engineering situations.

Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks for the interest.

Dave