Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness. Schools are conservative. So are

In article <hj12vo$bbu$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> But telling professors that Mathematica version 7.0 should be taught
> instead of (say) quantum mechanics, won't work.  And to tell them that
> it should be taught as an EXTRA course won't work.  And to tell them
> that it will be more useful than some other programming language in
> which most of their colleagues' work is written, won't work.  And to
> tell them that they should write their papers (at some additional
> effort) in this new way, and then present them to journals that will
> just flatten them out into static page images, probably won't work.

Don't know how long Professor Fateman has been in a major ".edu"
institution, but in my case it's 50+ years.  Seen a lot of things come
and go.

And I'd say that every word of the preceding paragraph is absolutely
correct, beyond further discussion.

> So you might start by trying to reform the publication system.
> Convincing a journal to publish papers that can only be fully viewed by
> readers who have a computer running Mathematica [which version?] is
> a tough sell.

Also spent a fair amount of volunteer time myself at upper levels of
major professional societies and dealing with scientific publication
matters over the years; and this paragraph is equally valid.

And there are a lot of other equally compelling reasons why Mathematica
won't be the standard scientific publishing system of the future.