What is the difference Between MakeBoxes and ToBoxes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106684] What is the difference Between MakeBoxes and ToBoxes
  • From: George <gtatishvili at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 04:51:36 -0500 (EST)

May you please advise me what is the difference between "ToBoxes" and
"MakeBoxes"?  I read in Mathematica manual and unerstood that the only
differerence is that "MakeBoxes" generates boxes without evaluation of
input...So is that all the difference?

I saw also some examples where on lhs is "MakeBoxes" and on rhs is
"ToBoxes" when I just changed "MakeBoxes" into "ToBoxes" (and vice
versa) the Mathematica gave me some errors.... So could anybody
explain me with a simple practical example with explanation?

Thank you very much
George