What is the difference Between MakeBoxes and ToBoxes

May you please advise me what is the difference between "ToBoxes" and
"MakeBoxes"?  I read in Mathematica manual and unerstood that the only
differerence is that "MakeBoxes" generates boxes without evaluation of
input...So is that all the difference?

I saw also some examples where on lhs is "MakeBoxes" and on rhs is
"ToBoxes" when I just changed "MakeBoxes" into "ToBoxes" (and vice
versa) the Mathematica gave me some errors.... So could anybody
explain me with a simple practical example with explanation?

Thank you very much
George